How do I get proof of name change in Washington state?

Generally a Petition for Name Change and an Order for Name Change must be completed. Please note that these forms are not available on the Washington State Courts web site. You will need to contact the District Court in the county where you reside in order to obtain the needed forms.

How do I get proof that I changed my name?

A certified copy of the court’s order to change your name can be requested from the court that issued the order. The Social Security office is one place that asks for official proof of a name change. The Department of Motor Vehicles is another. This is so you can get a new Social Security card and state ID.

Can I change my name online in Washington state?

To do this, log in to an existing OIC Online Services account and select “Change Name.” The service costs and requires one of the following documents reflecting the new legal name: A copy of a certified marriage certificate. A copy of a certified court order. New social security card.

How long does a name change take in Washington state?

Once the Petition has been completed, the case will be presented to a judge for approval and signature. The Court will record your Name Change with the King County Recorder’s Office. Only the Order needs to be recorded. Recording takes 6 to 8 weeks and a copy with the Recorder’s Number will be returned to you.

Does your name automatically change when you get married?

Couple’s frequently assume that getting married changes a bride’s name. Getting married does not legally change a name. Although either partner may legally assume their spouse’s name (you may choose to use your spouse’s surname), this does not constitute a legal change of name.

What to do when you change your name?

How to Change Your Name in 10 Steps

  1. Update Your Social Security Card.
  2. Get a New Driver’s License.
  3. Get a New Passport and Travel Documents.
  4. Change the Name on Your Bank Accounts.
  5. Change the Name on Your Credit Cards.
  6. Provide Your New Name and Banking Information to Your Employer.
  7. Update Insurance Information.