What is plasticizer used for in concrete?

Superplasticizers, also known as plasticizers or high-range water reducers (HRWR), reduce water content by 12 to 30 percent and can be added to concrete with a low-to-normal slump and water-cement ratio to make high-slump flowing concrete.

Does plasticizer strengthen concrete?

Superplasticizers (SPs), also known as high range water reducers, are additives used in making high strength concrete. Plasticizers are chemical compounds that enable the production of concrete with approximately 15% less water content.

What is water reducer for concrete mix?

Water reducers, retarders, and superplasticizers are admixtures for concrete, which are added in order to reduce the water content in a mixture or to slow the setting rate of the concrete while retaining the flowing properties of a concrete mixture.

Is water reducer the same as plasticizer?

Plasticizers are also called water reducers. Plasticizers are added to concrete mixtures as water reducers. It is useful in reducing the water: cement ratio used for concrete production. But this reduction does not alter the workability of concrete.

What are plasticizers with examples?


Class Examples
Polyhydric alcohols • Propylene glycol • Glycerol • Polethylene glycols
Acetate esters • Glyceryl triacetate (Triacetin) • Triethyl citrate • Acetyl triethyl citrate
Phthalate esters • Diethyl phthalate
Glycerides • Actetylated monoglycerides

What is the limitation of plasticizers?

What is the limitation of plasticizers? Explanation: A good plasticizer is one which does not cause air-entrainment in concrete is greater than 1-2%.

Where do we use plasticizer?

Where do we use plasticizers? Explanation: Where low degree of workability is required like Deep beams, column and beam junctions.

Does plasticizer increase slump?

Superplasticizers transform stiff, low-slump concrete into flowing, pourable, easily placed concrete. They can improve workability, speed finishing, increase strength, conserve cement and help reduce shrinkage and thermal cracking.