What are the three 3 main causes of coronary atherosclerosis?

Risk factors for coronary artery disease include:

  • Age. Getting older increases your risk of damaged and narrowed arteries.
  • Sex. Men are generally at greater risk of coronary artery disease.
  • Family history.
  • Smoking.
  • High blood pressure.
  • High blood cholesterol levels.
  • Diabetes.
  • Overweight or obesity.

What does coronary arteriosclerosis in native artery mean?

Arteriosclerosis occurs when the blood vessels that carry oxygen and nutrients from your heart to the rest of your body (arteries) become thick and stiff — sometimes restricting blood flow to your organs and tissues.

What is the difference between arteriosclerosis and coronary artery disease?

Atherosclerosis — sometimes called hardening of the arteries — can slowly narrow the arteries throughout your body. When atherosclerosis affects arteries that carry blood to the heart muscle, it’s called coronary artery disease, or CAD.

What is the difference between atherosclerosis and ischemic heart disease?

Ischemia means a “reduced blood supply”. Ischemic Heart Disease (IHD) is where a waxy substance called plaque (plak) builds up inside blood vessels, and restricts the normal flow of blood. When plaque builds up in the arteries, the condition is called atherosclerosis (ATH-er-o-skler-O-sis).

What are the warning signs of arteriosclerosis?


  • Chest pain or pressure (angina)
  • Sudden arm or leg weakness or numbness.
  • Slurred speech or difficulty speaking.
  • Brief loss of vision in one eye.
  • Drooping facial muscles.
  • Pain when walking.
  • High blood pressure.
  • Kidney failure.

Can atherosclerosis cause sudden death?

Coronary atherosclerosis is responsible for >50% of all cases of sudden death and for 90% of sudden coronary death. Four cases encountered in routine autopsy evaluation at our institute in 2004 in which non‐atherosclerotic coronary pathology was responsible for sudden cardiac death are reported.

What type of doctor treats atherosclerosis?

If you have atherosclerosis, a primary care doctor, such as an internist or family practitioner, may handle your care. Your doctor may recommend other health care specialists if you need expert care, such as: A cardiologist. This is a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating heart diseases and conditions.