What are shackle bushes?
Shackle bushes are an item that are often overlooked during routine maintenance. Shackle bushes live in the leaf spring shackle, they are the bush that allows movement in the suspension. Every time you drive over a bump or turn a corner your suspension moves. This movement will eventually wear out the bush.
How do you know if leaf spring shackles are bad?
Signs of worn-out shackles include:
- A harsh ride: If your tires are lifting off the ground and you aren’t experiencing a smooth ride, it can be a sign of bound-up bolts and pins in the shackles, causing the springs not to flex.
- Leaning vehicle: If your truck is leaning to one side, it can be from worn shackles.
How much does it cost to replace leaf spring shackles?
Leaf spring shackle replacements can cost you $20 to $100 for the parts alone. Quantity, kit inclusions, and material can affect this part’s pricing. Labor can cost an additional $150 to $200, depending on your location.
Do leaf spring shackles wear out?
Although your shackles have high levels of endurance, they will wear out over time like any other vehicle components. When you need to replace your leaf spring shackles, don’t procrastinate — it can cause severe damage to your undercarriage.
Is it OK to drive with a broken leaf spring?
Overall, the only driving you should do with a broken spring is to a place of safety where you can park the vehicle and order a new leaf spring.
How much are bushes for a car?
The cost to replace front suspension bushes averages £172.50 with rear suspension bushes coming in around £137. The mechanic’s cost to replace suspension bushes is approximately to . Total costs to replace suspension bushes (inclusive of labour) ranges between £384 to £650.
How much does a shackle cost?
How do you change a leaf spring shackle?
How to Change a Leaf Spring Shackle
- Place a floor jack under the rear differential of your vehicle and raise it off the ground.
- Lower the jack and allow the suspension to droop, taking the weight of the vehicle off the shackle.
- Remove the lower mounting bolt from the shackle and spring using a socket and ratchet.