What is SQL AAG?
The AlwaysOn Availability Groups (AAG) function provides high availability and disaster recovery at the SQL database level. A SQL AlwaysOn failover cluster instance provides high availability and disaster recovery at the SQL Server level.
How do I create a backup job in SQL Server 2012?
Show activity on this post.
- Go to MS SQL Server Management studio→SQL Server Agent→New Job.
- Under General tab enter Backup name.
- Under Steps tab: Type Step name. Select database you want to backup. Enter backup query.
- In Schedules→New, go to new schedule and set date times as required.
What is database mirroring in SQL Server 2012?
Database Mirroring is used to move the database transactions from one SQL Server database (Principal database) to another SQL Server database (Mirror database) on a different instance. In SQL Server Log Shipping and Mirroring can work together to provide solutions for high availability and disaster recovery.
How do I manually backup a SQL Server database?
To take a backup of your database, follow these steps:
- Launch SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and connect to your SQL Server instance.
- Expand the Databases node in Object Explorer.
- Right-click the database, hover over Tasks, and select Back up….
- Under Destination, confirm that the path for your backup is correct.
How do I automate a SQL Server database backup?
You have to follow these four steps to back up your SQL Server databases by using Windows Task Scheduler:
- Step A: Create stored procedure to Back up your databases.
- Step B: Download SQLCMD tool (if applicable).
- Step C: Create batch file using text editor.
What is the difference between database mirroring and AlwaysOn availability groups?
Essentially you had to choose between using database mirroring for disaster recovery (asynchronous) or for high availability(synchronous). AlwaysOn, however, allows up to two synchronous replicas and two asynchronous replicas to be simultaneously active.
How to take the automated backup preference into account for availability groups?
To take the automated backup preference into account for a given availability group, on each server instance that hosts an availability replica whose backup priority is greater than zero (>0), you need to script backup jobs for the databases in the availability group.
How do I enable backup in SQL Server management studio?
Using SQL Server Management Studio. To configure backup on secondary replicas. In Object Explorer, connect to the server instance that hosts the primary replica, and click the server name to expand the server tree. Expand the Always On High Availability node and the Availability Groups node.
What types of backups are supported with AlwaysOn availability groups?
SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn Availability Groups allows the offloading of CERTAIN types of backups to a replica. At the time of this writing, only transaction log backups and full backups with COPY_ONLY are supported on secondary replicas.
What are the backup preferences for backups?
The backup preferences are for backups in general, not the backup type. This needs to be kept in the back of your mind when setting up your backups since secondary replicas only support full backups with COPY_ONLY as well as transaction log backups.