What are some misunderstood words?
10 Commonly Misunderstood Words in English
- Enormity. Enormous in size (enormousness) vs monstrous evil, excessive, wicked, outrageousness.
- Nonplussed. Unaffected, unimpressed vs bewildered, extremely puzzled at a loss.
What is common confusing words?
Here are a few of the most common pairs with correct definitions and examples: Accept / Except. Affect / Effect. A Lot / Alot. Allusion / Illusion.
What is the most incorrectly used word?
12 English Words That People Say and Use Wrong
- Literally. Wrong meaning: Figuratively, very.
- Factoid. Wrong meaning: A small fact.
- Irregardless. Wrong meaning: Regardless, without consideration of (or despite) the circumstances.
- Runners-up, Passers-by.
What are confused homophones?
If there’s one thing that’s guaranteed to get your proofreaders and editor on your case with a vengeance, it’s falling prey to homophone confusion. Homophones are words that sound alike when you’re speaking out loud but have different spellings and completely different definitions.
What words could you use instead of nice?
What can I say instead of Im not sure?
Ways of saying you are not sure – thesaurus
- perhaps. adverb. used for saying that you are not certain about something, or that something may or may not be true.
- maybe. adverb.
- presumably. adverb.
- reportedly. adverb.
- rumour/word/legend has it that. phrase.
- it/that depends. phrase.
- not that I’m aware of. phrase.
- I dare say. phrase.
What are some annoying words?
Here’s a brief rundown of the words you should instantly cull from your vocabulary:
- Moist. I know a lot of people hate word moist.
- Epic. Epic.