What plants grow in the Southwest region?
Major species include Cereus, most visibly the saguaro and organ pipe, the Echinocereus or hedgehog cacti, Ferocactus, which are large, heavy spined barrel cacti, Mammillaria, small plants, usually forming clusters, and Opuntia, branched, joined cacti, usually densely spined.
What plants are in the Southeast region?
What are southern plants?
Southern Native Plants Worth Growing
- Blue False Indigo. Beautiful purple flower spikes appear in late spring to early summer above blue-tinted leaves on this shrubby native.
- Black Tupelo.
- Moonglow Sweetbay Magnolia.
- Lady Fern.
- Shooting Star.
- ‘Munchkin’ Oakleaf Hydrangea.
- ‘Blue Shadow’ Fothergilla.
What can you plant on a South Side garden?
Best Plants for South Facing Gardens
- Chamaemelum nobile (Chamomile)
- Sedum spectabile (Ice plant)
- Lophocereus marginatus (Mexican fence post cactus)
- Euphorbia characias (Mediterranean spurge)
- Gaura lindheimeri (Beeblossom)
- Santolina Chamaecyparissus (Cotton Lavender)
What plants grow well in the desert?
Cacti are the most common desert plants; however, succulents, desert trees, grasses, and types of small shrubs and flowering bushes all grow well in deserts.
What are some plants in the desert?
10 plants that live in the desert
- Prickly Pear Cactus. The prickly pear cactus is one of the most iconic plants that live in the desert.
- Golden Barrel Cactus.
- Joshua Tree.
- Quiver Tree.
What can you plant on the southeast side of the house?
Annuals suited for planting on the east side of buildings include wax begonias, browallia, lobelia, alyssum, geraniums, petunia, nasturtium and pansy. Each of these are fast-growing annuals that work well mixed in containers together.
What plant grows on trees in the South?
Most often, you’ll find Spanish moss on cypress and oak species such as the Southern live oak (Quercus virginiana) and the Italian cypress (Cupressus sempervirens), both hardy in USDA zones 7 through 10. The plant is adaptable, however, and will make itself at home in other types of trees as well.
Which plant is good for south direction?
A garden in the south-east or south-west causes tension. If the garden is located out in front, a massive tree should never block its entrance. A tree can be planted alongside the wall of the garden. In fact, planting a peepal, mango, neem or banana tree is preferred from a Vastu point of view.
What flowers grow best on south side of house?
Plants for a south-facing border
- Pink sedum buds.
- Daisy-like corn chamomile flowers.
- A carpet of purple-flowering thyme.
- Vivid purple allium flowerheads.
- Purple-blue catmint flowers.
- Tall lime flower spikes of Euphorbia characias.
- Silver-grey cotton lavender foliage.
- White flowers and glossy leaves of pittosporum.