How do you make Trinidad oxtail soup?
Cook in pressure cooker until oxtail is tender but does not fall off the bone (45 minutes to 1 hour). Add oxtail and remaining liquid from pressure cooker into soup pot. Top with water, roucou and lemon grass and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Add dasheen, sweet potato, green banana, eddoes and ripe plantain.
How do you make Caribbean oxtails?
Cover oxtails with brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, all-spice, and browning and rub into oxtails. Set Pressure Cooker on High Sauté and once hot, add vegetable oil. Next, add your larger oxtail pieces to the pot, flat side down about ¼ inch apart, and brown on each side.
How do you make oxtail soup?
- Pat oxtail segments dry and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy soup pot of Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add oxtail segments, without crowding.
- Transfer the meat to a clean bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the garlic, cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Why is oxtail soup so good?
Turns out, the continuous sweeping of the tail while the animal is still alive, makes oxtails great for long-simmering foods such as soups. The strong muscles, with plenty of support tissue, fall apart after several hours of cooking. It gives a luscious, tasteful end result.
How do you marinate oxtails?
You should have at least 24. For the Oxtails: In a blender blend 2 of the onions, 2 cloves of the garlic, 1 sprig of the thyme, 1 of the scallions, 1 tablespoon of oil, a generous sprinkle of salt and a 1/2 cup water. Pour half of the marinade over the oxtails and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
How do you make West Indian oxtail soup?
- Place a pot over medium-high heat, warm the oil then add the oxtails. Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the onion, scallions, pimento peppers and garlic.
- Add the water, salt, tomato paste, parsley and thyme.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, stir in the carrots, pumpkin and/or other veggies.
How do you make oxtail cook like Jamaican?
- Season oxtail with salt, black pepper, 2 Tbsp curry powder and garlic.
- Place sliced onions on top, cover and place in refrigerator overnight or for at least for 2 hours before cooking.
- While heating oil in heavy saucepan remove onions from top of meat.
- Add oxtail to the sauce pan and sear to seal in juice.
How do you make oxtails tender?
Just bring your oxtails to a boil in a heavy bottom pot, that retains heat well, then reduce heat to MED and simmer with lid on, until the oxtails are tender. This will take 2 to 3 hours. But the results will be well worth the wait.
Is oxtail soup good for your health?
One serving of oxtail also contains 233 milligrams of sodium and no carbohydrates whatsoever. In a 100-gram serving of oxtail, there are 30.93 grams of protein. This amount makes oxtail a very good source of protein, as this is almost two-thirds of the daily protein requirement for a 2,000-calorie diet.
Should I soak oxtails before cooking?
By soaking and blanching the oxtail before cooking any impurities are removed. To cook: Oxtail requires long, slow cooking to produce tender, succulent meat. It should be cooked for a minimum of 3 hours for the best results.